Exploring the Old World

Chronicling the travels, trials and tribulations as one expatriate explores Copenhagen, Europe and beyond.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hot Dogs, Beer and Public Transportation

On Danish buses there are 3 prohibited items crossed out on the window... the words are all in danish so I don't really know what they say, but the three things that are crossed out are....

1) Trash (I assume this means don't litter)
and now my favorites...
2) A bottle of Beer
3) 3 hot dogs...

Now the beer makes sense, seeing as it's legal to drink beer and have open containers in public here... so I assume they want you to stop before you get on the bus (however it may mean please don't ride drunk?) But the hot dogs! Is other food allowed or are hot dogs singularly disallowed? Can I have one hot dog on the bus or even two? Is three some sort of arbitrary level where they decide you are consuming too many bizarre substances? Basically I wish I spoke Danish.

Speaking of speaking Danish. I had quite the experience at the "Dracula Bar" tonight. Besides having the distinction of serving ten liquer shots for 100 kroner (less than 20 bucks) the Dracula bar also featured the first Danes I had legitimately interesting interactions with. Sorry if the aftereffects from said bar obscure my points here, but I had a good time. I talked to one kid who was 18 and was heading to NYC this spring (is he in for it or what?), this chick who is like 19 or 20 and is out of high school but not in college yet and considers herself a student? (you gotta love Europe) and this kid who HAS been to America, but only went to Hawaii because he is a huuuuuge LOST fan. Needless to say it was quite the experience.

I don't know if the timestamp will convey it properly, but its 2:52 am here and i don't have to wake up early tomorrow, so I'm going to check in...

hej hej!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home