Exploring the Old World

Chronicling the travels, trials and tribulations as one expatriate explores Copenhagen, Europe and beyond.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Dobry Den Praha

This is it... the last stop on my three week long whirlwind tour across Europe. I got into Prague yesterday at about 5 after one of the weirdest traveling days I've had so far. Getting out of Italy on Easter weekend is not easy, because of the holiday there were tons of Italians traveling in addition to the usual horde of tourists. The day did not start out as I hoped, I couldn't get a ticket on the Express Train from Florence to Rome, instead settling for a regional train that stopped at every Italian city en route. So my hopes of a nice refreshing walk and sightseeing tour around Rome were squashed as I withered away at train stations. This also cramped my time schedule quite a bit which stressed me out considerably, there was no way I could miss that flight.

It did give me a chance to read, and I read Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, his rambling account of a drug crazed romp in Las Vegas... a journey he said was in search of the American Dream. Had there been an internet connection I would have put up a blog post entlted: "Fear and Loathing in the Rome-Fiumciano Airport." Written in his gonzo journalistic style I would have ranted on a variety of topics... but in hindsight maybe its better I calmed down. But it was a stressful day nonetheless.

So far Prague has been great. I'm staying with my best friends from Middlebury Adam and James, and we went to a traditional Czech restaurant last night... I had some type of meat with dumplings and gravy... it may have lacked the flair of Florence, but it was good food.
We then visited some of the Prague Pubs which are great because things are so cheap here. A pint is closer to a dollar or two, whereas other cities a dollar or two can't even buy you a glass of water. One of the fun customs the guys have here is that instead of saying cheers they say "I'm Driving" as it sounds similiar to whatever the traditional Czech toast is. Now we have a lazy Sunday ahead of us, and we may even watch the Masters tonight in some sports bar.

Speaking of the Masters: I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Easter back home. The closest I came to relgious services was observing a procession of singing/chanting Catholics in Florence on Good Friday, but I also feel as if I've been in half the Cathedrals in Europe, so I've gotten enough religiosity. But Easter is one of the best holidays, I appreciate how it always signifies the coming of Spring... and I am sad to not be with my family for it. Nina, who lives in the apartment here, played the part of the Easter bunny leaving us a great surprise for the morning.

During my journeys yesterday I realized that I was finally on the way home in a sense. My semester is by no means complete (especially academically)... but geographically, I'm on the way back... with Rome being the furthest point I have been. It's kind of like I just passed the turn on a golf course, and now I'm playing the back nine. And I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be my last flight that doesn't terminate at Logan Airport. I will have plenty of post trip analysis and photos coming in the next few days when I get back to Copenhagen.

So for now Matsloveno.
(I have no idea how to say goodbye in Czech, so don't bother commenting on how much I just butchered that word.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

alex -so sad to hear that roma got shafted due to itlalian transportation. look on the bright side - you are totally justified in going back to spend a week in that country in the future. -mcg

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home