Exploring the Old World

Chronicling the travels, trials and tribulations as one expatriate explores Copenhagen, Europe and beyond.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, March 17, 2007

May the road rise to meet you....

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!


I'm leaving for Luxembourg in the morning for the first leg of 3+ week awesome adventure, so I'm busy packing but I just wanted to make a note about St. Patty's day abroad. There are a good amount of Irish in Copenhagen, depending on your definition of good I guess, anyways I think I saw them all today. I met a couple of my good Irish buddies at a pub called the Dubliner at 11 this morning for an Irish breakfast that consisted of all sorts of fried things-- I think most of them were either vegetables or used to walk the earth-- and some pints and Irish coffee. Anyways, we eventually made it down to the canals and witnessed the St. Patty's day parade. It was about 100 of Ireland's finest in Denmark, some Clydesdales pulling a Carlsberg cart and a few bagpipers-- not quite the South Boston parade, but it was good enough. There was also a three-legged pub crawl race going on, so that was fun to watch. Apparently the St. Patty's parade collided with an anti-Iraq War march at some point. (I think there's a political joke to be made of the irony here, but I'm a little off my game.)

I finished my celebrating with a bike ride home through gale force winds, which I found ironic-- isn't the toast which headlines this post supposed to be: "May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back..." Well this wind was most definitely in my face... it must be my Protestant background.

It's interesting how St. Patrick's day, which was converted from a religious holiday to an Irish cultural celebration stateside has become a world wide event to celebrate Ireland, get sauced and paint your hair green. I'm going to make it through Dublin during my travels so I'm sure I'll have some poignant Irish cultural observations for you in a couple weeks.

Speaking of my travels, they do start tomorrow as I mentioned. A fun part about the first leg of the trip is that I'm supposed to be in business dress for all these meetings, so in all the pictures from this part, which will hopefully include some fun times in Paris and London, you'll be able to recognize my fine dress, brought to you by the Men's Wearhouse in Dedham.

So I'll be out of radio contact for a bit here, but fare thee well and "Until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hand."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel safe little brother.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home